Thursday, January 23, 2020

To The Beat of My Own Drum


A Celebration Letter - written next year (around this time)
Last blog entry was me 20 years from now.
This blog entry is one year from now.
A mini-step towards that big dream.




Dear Family, 
The year 2020 is over and I am in awe of how fast it went, how exciting it was.

I started slowly. I had to remind impatient-me that I step at the beat of my own drum. In retrospect, "slow" is a judgment word I can skip. So let's rephrase: I began the year with my usual tropical rhythm. That's better! I like it, "lenta ma inesorabile"




I was each day more mindful as I reflected daily on them. How is it that everything I embark on is a joy to me? Every letter I write, every step I take, even when it’s a bit uncomfortable I'm having fun. As I told my mom: I’m definitely “una gozona”

* * * 


There were times at work when I’d propose a product to a client and I'd be afraid they may reject it, maybe it was pricey to them. I was often stuck on this, my weak point, until I learned to snap out of it and use my Queen archetype. I knew my product, I had been there, done that and I created the value for them to take advantage of. The price is mine to set. My job is to find one who values it.

After I got over this hump everything started flowing easier.  
I took small steps, skipping assumptions that sabotage my work. After much experimenting, I hit it right on the dot, with the right combination of product value, satisfaction, and price. I must say I have grown a lot this year.

Today I have an LLC, which in the past I shied away from. I exchanged “play-safe, stay small” with “take small risks and make it big”. I created consumer's interest in the first half of the year, renewed, calibrated, re-tried and in July I launched a full product line for the school year 2020-21. I even got some interest from some investors. The product/service seems a no brainer money-maker. It is the right fit for many people. I can see how this business will grow.

Still, I will be waiting to see how I get repeat customers and make sure this is not a one-time thing before I jump into expansion. At the end of 2021, when lots of clients have used it for a year, re-subscribed and given me good reviews, I’ll know I’m truly on the right track. 



Doing business I reflected on my family values. Although my father and my uncle never ever allowed us to enter the business field I know one thing that made them successful. Their growth was slow and steady, always innovating where there was a challenge or a special need. Their signature was to build a solid foundation. I value this. I am very proud of my incipient business. It was created with a new mindset, the mindset of prosperity, determination to succeed and full self-expression. 

* * *

It was helpful to do mental exercises of looking at the future and to write letters such as this, of a future celebration of the past year. Which brings me closer to believing in magic. The magic that you create from your own being.

* * * 

On the film front, I have traveled and met some people that are joining the movement of making the film. I am not alone anymore. There is a team of three very committed individuals who have joined me in the making. We created a non-profit where we deposit funds, we are all continuously searching for these to film the next chapter, Joropo Oriental. We are refining the process so it doesn’t become too overwhelming, like doing the whole country film all at once. Either way, this is a work in progress and it is progressing. Yay!

* * *

I stuck to my goal of each year, spending quality time with each of my kids. One week in Portugal with Renie Joie, Avery and Felix and Didi. One long weekend in San Francisco with Rydr and Indiana while Maura and Skylr took a little time off. And as a bonus, the whole family went to Florida during the summer. 

Renie Joie and I have been working together all this year. What started as her being my “accountability partner” has developed into some deep diving into our patterns and mutual therapy to clean up our minds and bodies from things we carry from our ancestors. It has been literally a trip!

* * * 

As for all the writing I’ve been doing, you can blame Tal. I have worked for a whole year with him. He has been a source of much reflection as I move on. At the same time, he is a good nudge in times of vacillation. He has been a motor and support, always steady and especially helpful through the times when I fear or doubt. He deeply encourages me. 

I’m so happy how this year went. 
How much more joy could I possibly have? 


No comments: