Thursday, June 27, 2024

Somos Novios, Somos Novios

(para español ver próxima entrada AQUÍ)


My life is fantastic. 

Every day has a highlight that brightens me up. 

Some days, there will be so many highlights that I glow, 

like the sun.

- Rennea




On Saturday, after our arrival, we were busy getting ready for the wedding, and I reveled in having my three kids in one place at the same time. 




I practiced playing the guitar and wished I was better at it. Not once did I get the whole song without mistakes—not even on the day of the ceremony!


Ross and Suzanne generously invited the family for a late lunch. We sat in front of the River Thames, eating delicious food and sharing stories and laughter. A gathering like this is priceless to me! Uncle Mitch was there with us, and so was Michael, both in spirit and high energy frequency. That's the best way I can explain it.


foto of luncheon here


Avery had the best team working with her to prepare for the wedding, and she and Tim organized it themselves. Every aspect of this day was carefully planned. Avery and Tim's friends are so dedicated, loving and caring. Their friendships are beautiful and strong. They all did such an amazing job!


The wedding ceremony was at Henley's Town Hall. Mandated by the novios, Lucy, the mistress of ceremonies, asked everyone to put away their phones. Cameras were strictly prohibited. They promised to share the photographers' photos later. This was a great rule of engagement. I loved it! 


foto of  walking down the aisle here


Tim waited, we all did, a few extra minutes than expected before the big entrance. Didi preceded them, and Felix walked Avery rhythmically down the aisle.  La novia looked spectacular with her tall thin figure with that dress with a scooped back and a perfect slit to show her long legs. Didi has never been more elegant, and Felix beamed in a pink suit, which was so appropriate for him.


any picture of us dressed up here


The whole family was in the two front rows. The boys were formally casually dressed in khaki shorts and navy polo shirts. Rydr, at one point, slept in Suzanne's lap; Indiana held his attention with curiosity. Renie Joie and Carlos Eduardo looked like a sharp, elegant, quirky Latin couple. I hope there is a picture somewhere. 


I wore my Manolo Blanicks for the last time. I love them, but I was terrified of falling from them and ruining my Portugal walking vacation—I moved into Stannettes right after the ceremony.


picture of friends here


The mood was joyful. Their good friends Lucy, Steph, Paul, Pat, John, and Tim's dad, Stephen, initiated "chapters" of the conversation between Avery and Tim by reading a beautiful quote or description. 


The novios incisive comments, which are natural to them, caused a lot of laughs. What better way to dissolve these little thorns than with laughter? There we were, listening, as they showed us how they pick on each other regularly, "sacándose los trapitos,"** and how they forgive each other regularly and how they are committed to keeping dancing together for the rest of their days. And "dancing" is my word, not theirs.


pictures of Avery and Tim as children here


I particularly loved it when they brought their pictures as young children and promised to see their vulnerable and sometimes out-of-control inner child in each other. I hope they will never forget this moment and keep it present.


 The conversations were their vows, and these were followed by meaningful songs, which we were invited to sing with them. I'm so on the fringe of mainstream culture that I've never heard some of them, but most people joined, and the words were also printed in the program.




 


As for what they said to each other, I would describe the balance tilted towards how they would solve problems and their commitment to process instead of romantic illusions and marital bliss. This was a highly unusual wedding. It was so much fun! They were so cute.  They are so "mature"!


mini-video of any part of the ceremony here


I sang Somos Novios. The gooey romantic portion of the ceremony? The lyrics of this song fit them quite well. A mix of sexy, romantic, committed, friendly, and moody aspects of love. Gracias, Tim and Avery, for choosing this within your options, and to Armando Manzanero, gracias for your words and melodies; people enjoyed them.


We transmitted live on Instagram, and most of our family in Venezuela and Florida got to see and not understand anything—not a word. But they laughed in unison with the crowd as they were the cue. Surely something funny was said. They had a watching party in front of a big screen. The Venezuelan contingent was there!





Avery and Tim triumphantly walked out of the hall to rice and confetti. They were so happy! Part one is done!


We all climbed in different cars to go to the barn where the reception was held. 


We were promised pictures, so I'll add them to this story when they come.






** this is an expression that means to bring up or expose intimate things or quarrels that may be uncomfortable




No comments: