Thursday, November 04, 2021

El Inodoro




 My upper lip is wet

And so is my nose


My thoughts are turned on 

but my eyes are still closed


Should I open my windows? My lids?

Is it time?


I don't think it is.

• • 


A foot searches for an escape

Burrows a tunnel to find fresh air

Oh! Yes! It's there!


An arm from under tears damp covers

feather warmth of a nesting puff 

Get off!


Eyes still closed instruct a tired hand

to feel around for the familiar switch on

It's four o four, Oh God!


One leg lifts to catapult the heavy body up

Ready? Set? 

One, two, three. Pop!


Both feet feel the fuzzy wool 

and quickly step to the cotton beyond

Then across the ledge towards red wood boards

soon into woolen slippers that sail like boats


Into the night


A silent call


To the "inodore"


• • 


Gently I float

slipping darkly creaking slats

I rise the plastic lid rose.


I bunch my nightshirt 'round my waist

squatting tentatively, vexing my quadriceps

who silently scream - I don't work this late!


But as they are my slaves,


they finally acquiesce


and lower my body


onto the "toilét"





No comments: